Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Acceptance

I'm trying.
I really am.
To just accept it all.
He seems to be
so I guess I should too.
And in so many ways
I already have.
But the little twinges
that pull at my heart
will they ever go away?!

I don't think its about appearance.
Not anymore.
He is who he is.
I mean look at that face!
With or without a patch
he is way too adorable.

Its more in the moments
when for a second
I see him struggle.
I see him over or under reach.
I see him rub his patch.
I see him itch his contact eye.
Quick, fleeting moments
that pass very quickly
and then life goes on.

We all struggle though really.
I suppose the lesson is
universal.
There are moments with her too.
She has come a long way
to her feisty credit.
Physical Therapy
Occupational Therapy
It hasn't been easy for her either.
But she's moving
all too well lately.
And she's eating
at her own pace and preference.

I don't think any mother
likes to see their child
struggle.
So young though
they are.
Why?
Why have my children had to
struggle
from the very beginning.
It's the nature of the beast
I guess?
Growth
Learning
it only comes with a price.

So what is it
that I am trying to
accept...
Disabilities
Challenges
Motherhood
Life
All of the above I suppose
for myself and
for my children.

I know I am
getting there though
with every painful twinge
immediately following

I am filled with an
overwhelming
sense of
pride.

3 comments:

  1. Acceptance is a beautiful thing. It's not always easy or permanent, but it is a start. The twinges will be there forever, I think. But, I tell myself it is better for me to have them than for him to. I think I have them so he doesn't have to feel them. And, PRIDE, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written. They are such little dolls! I love to draw... So I have picked it up again here recently. I was drawing a picture of Austin and Blake together. I drew his little chubby cheeks. He just didn't look like himself until I added the glasses. I had a little tear reading this. Because I felt a twinge last night as I was adding glasses. It is just a reminder that he isn't getting off easy like other little ones. Think how strong they are going to be having gone through this. Think Arnold Schwarzenegger. Only emotionally. :) No obstacle will be too large for them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...