Thursday, August 11, 2011

Services

To need them
or not to need them
that was the question.
Easton had a vision eval.
I just wanted to make sure.
I know he can see.
But how well?
Does only using one eye impact his development?

Apparently not!
That was good news.
He passed
or should I say didn't qualify for services.
She noticed that he under/over reaches.
Using one eye impacts the ability to see
space, three-dimensional space.
He will have to adapt to where he is and
where things are
in space.
I have noticed it at times too.
But I guess that is just all part of his journey.

She also said that once he starts walking
and using stairs
that will be an adjustment as well.
Moving through space.
In many ways I am so glad
he is developing just fine!
But the unknown
not being able to really relate
to his world
haunts me.

I know he is ok.
I know he is healthy.
I know he knows no different.
I know he will adapt.

But it was all just another reminder
of the challenges he faces.
The different world
The different perspective
The different journey
that he is experiencing
and I am not.

I guess that would be true of
anyone's life though.
Being a mom
has made me so aware
aware of how my children experience
life
the day
everything.

I am not them.
I am here for them.
I am at their service.
Forever.

1 comment:

  1. If I can ease your fears at all...I grew up my entire life with "normal" vision and at the age of 30 lost sight in my left eye to MS. It required no adjusting to get on with things. Sure sometimes I squint or have to double check on my left side if Lilia is running around but truthfully it is not a big deal...and that's coming from someone who knew the difference. These kids will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...