Monday, August 8, 2011

It's working!

We have a new routine.
We decided to make it a family affair.
The kids are up around 7am.
Before they eat by 7:30.
And before Daddy leaves for work.
We ALL support Easton and his contact.
Mommy puts it in.
Daddy helps hold and entertain.
Azalea provides the background music.
Nelly brushes our legs with her tail.
And the star of the show...
Easton is swaddled and on the changing table.

Lately, its been working!
Dare I hold my breath with that one.
I think Easton knows the difference.
It used to be just him and I.
Daddy was at work already.
Azalea would be in the bouncer.
And we would try to make it work.
I think those days were important though.
We needed to get used to the process.
Together.
Just the two of us and the contact.

But now it's better.
Some days are still better than others.
But it's working!
Having everyone there just helps.
I feel the support which calms me down.
And more importantly, I know Easton feels it too.
He even will laugh and look at Daddy and sis
while I am poking him in the eye
trying to adjust the fit of his contact.
Hey that is what family is all about,
rallying together for a contact lens!
We've certainly come a long way
from it wedging it's self between me and my son
to it bringing my family together.

Getting the patch on is a whole separate process.
Keep in mind I used to do ALL of this
while he was sleeping.
We've had to get creative.
Once the contact is in, they get to eat.
While in their high chairs
I start applying the milk of magnesia.
(it helps protect his skin from the adhesive)
After going through several patches
that just wouldn't stick
I've learned the milky stuff has to be
completely DRY!
Easton eats puffs while this is all going down.

Then comes the tricky, sticky part, ha.
Trying to stick the patch on a moving target.
Not easy.
And not just anywhere.
Over his entire eye.
Placed so that all sticky stuff
has some skin to stick to.
Otherwise it will come off!
I've learned that placement is a good enough game.
As long as it is on and good enough
leave it! leave it! leave it!
There is no turning back.
And with my obsession with perfection,
this one was a hard one to leave.
too high
too low
too far on his nose
too this way
too that way
just leave it!
It's working...
for now.
She grabs for everything, but not the patch?!  Yet...

2 comments:

  1. That is funny! I have had to deal with that too. I can't stand something to be out of balance, so I would try to mess with the patch to straighten it and make it even. It is a bad idea. It becomes less sticky and it reminds him that the patch is there and can be removed if he messes with it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for together time, even if it is putting in a contact:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...