Monday, September 19, 2011

Eye Report

Easton had an Eye Apt today.
Very GOOD news
his eye is stable.
The pressure in both eyes
was similar and low,
no glaucoma!
His retina and optic nerve
looked good.
The stalk thing
from his PFV
was not an issue.
He has a clear line of
vision through his eyeball.
Yayyyyy!

He is to continue
wearing his contact.
He is to continue
patching about 6 hours a day.
His contact size and prescription
did not change this time.
We go back
every three months.
Dr. thinks next time
contact will change.

Soooo we are down
to two contact back ups.
Yes, we lost yet another contact
the night I got home
from amazing yoga
I tried to channel
positive energy
and just let it be.
If we use up
the remaining two
before the next apt.
we are to call the Dr.
before getting more.

I started asking questions  :)
Will he EVER be a
good candidate for a
permanent lens implant?
aka. no more daily contact
answer... probably not.
Slightly disappointed.
Well... very disappointed.
His PFV left his eye
so abnormal that
he lacks the eye structures to
safely anchor the lens.
Dr. feels we can
revisit the possibility
when he is around age 8.
But at that point
we have a better chance
hoping for new technology
than any change in his eye.

Next question...
when will he get glasses?
Right now the contact
allows him to see 20/20
about 4 ft at the most
in front of him.
When he needs to see further
he will need glasses
and his contact.
So when he is about 3 or 4 years.
Starting school
seeing the chalk board, etc.
He will get glasses.

Next question...
Will he then wear glasses
forever?
Yes.
He will need to wear
his contact for near sight
and his glass for far sight
to see out of his
"bad" eye
forever.
Now you can see
why I was hoping
he could get the
permanent lens implant.
One less piece of
vision equipment.
By the way,
even with the implant
he would still need glasses.
The perm lens is only set
to one distance
either near or far.

Next question...
Will he always have to
patch for half his wake time?
aka. 6+ hours.
In other words,
will he be patching at school?
Not necessarily.
His patch time
could be a minimum of 4 hours
around the age of 3 or 4.
Thus he could patch
after school.


I am happy.
I am grateful.
This was a good visit.
Dr. says Easton
is one of her
most successful cases!
But there is still
a knot in my stomach.
Going there
hearing the facts
just makes it all still
feel real.
And when it feels real
there is still a
long road ahead,
no turning back,
the chance that things
could change,
and no magic anything
to make is all
better.

I'll get over it though.
This is a place
that is very familiar.
I try not to let myself
come here often.
This is were I cry a little
and pray for my baby boy.
And then I...
count my blessings
blog about it
and read other blogs
who know exactly
how this feels.

During the office visit
Easton was a champ.
No major meltdowns
Dr. could get to his eye.
He participated in all the
look here, look there tests.
Even putting the contact in
went well enough.

I told the Dr. about
my online eye buddies.
How in the beginning
all this felt so isolating.
And how the blog community
has saved my sanity.
I wanted to make sure
if she had future parents
she could point them
in a direction
of support.
I told her I was going to
blog about today's visit!
I think she is reading this
right now!
Hi Dr.!  :)

Now back to
Seeing the Distance!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful news!! Yeah Easton for being a good boy!! Boo for the 6 hours of patching. I don't know how you do it. I started patching at 9am finished at 3pm and she fell asleep at 630pm. And we only got in 3 hours. 6 hours would be our entire day!
    Interesting that the stalk is not interfering with his sight. Awesome though. Nicole's was removed. But they did tell us there was space for an IOL but no one here advocates it. Why risk more surgery is what I am told. We had such complications that we have decided no IOL. If she wants when she is older she can make that decision.
    Yeah for blogger friends!!! =) They understand better than "real" friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Easton had a good report. My stomach is always in knots hoping for a good pressure and report. I am happy that his pressure is still low.

    Austin is sleeping the day away right now. So we are struggling to get 5 hours of patch time in. I think he needs a prescription change. He is struggling to see things while patched.

    Karla, you are right. My "blog" friends are the only ones I "talk" to about his condition in any length. My friends that live close care about Austin, they just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good news Amanda! Here's a perspective to consider.. from an middle-aged contact lens & glasses wearing adult. I had good vision up until middle school when my need for corrective lenses first appeared - and then increased over time. At each successive decline in my vision, I remember what it used to be like; effortless, comfortable and better than the most current version of my vision. Mostly I remember being able to see better and now, even with corrective gear(I wear both contacts & glasses), I recognize that my vision is less than.. and I cope with loss. And it struck me that Easton will likely undergo the reverse of my experience, overtime it is probable than he will gain, he will see better than, more comfortably and with less effort over time.. no regrets, no loss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing news! I am so happy for him- and this gives me hope. Thanks so much for writing about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the support everyone!
    Ann - your right, What makes all this worth while is that in the end... I get to say I gave him his vision! What a gift!
    Missy and Karla - I hear ya on the patching is tough. I am surprised he has been so cooperative so far. Patch on by 8am, patch all day through naps and all, patch off by 5pm. Kinda like the hours of a job. Lately he has been fighting it more in the morning, today he actually rubbed it off and I had to put a new one on. Sometimes we go through 4 or 5 in less than an hour in the early morning. But once he gets past that he is pretty good. Vision wise I don't think he cares, its more of the "MOM you just put a sticker on my face!" that is the problem. Azalea has started noticing the patch as well. I think if I used the colored ones it would have been even sooner. She tries to grab at it and I have to tell her no. I think we are hitting a new age and it's gonna get rough?! Hopefully we will just keeping plugging away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! I am so, so proud of you guys for being awesome. It is the worst thing to hear that your baby has no chance of not wearing glasses. That is what really got to me at Anderson's first visits. It seemed so permanent & like he didn't even get a fair shot. I have learned it is WAY harder to be the mom than the baby, though. We take it way worse than they do. You are MY hero for dealing with the contact and I send you support and hugs through the computer! It will be rough with the patching now that she notices it. Plus, the beginning of toddlerhood is not easy with an eye patch. I can tell you that IT DOES GET BETTER! That doesn't help on the hard days, but try to keep it in the back of your mind. I agree about the blogging being my sanity. Thank goodness that we found each other:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the Dr. introducing us. I'm so thankful I met you the day of Mallory's surgery. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in all this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...