Thursday, July 18, 2013

the Joy

the Joy
of parenthood
is reliving 
the Joy
the memories
of childhood 

 

as they get older
each year
each season
each month
each moment
is more and more
Joyful
 
 
 

Beaver Island
a State Park
a local site
a small beach
was Joyful
as a child
 

I remember
Summers
several Summers
looking forward
to days at the beach
Beaver Island
 

I remember
the parking lot
hot and hazy
the pathways
shaded and cool
the boardwalk
wooden and noisey
the smell
sunscreen and moisture
the sounds
waves lapping children laughing
life guard whistles blowing
the feel
dry sand damp sand wet sand
hot sun on my skin
wind breezes blowing
 
 

I remember
year after year
growing up
with this beach
my mom and I
always
Joyful memories
fun family photos


one year
my best friend and I
as sweet sixteens
drove there on our own
strictly to work on
our tans, of course
laid out for hours
hot tired and ready 
to go home
got in her car
and it would NOT start
frantically calling 
her dad
and a tow truck
riding all the way home
sharing shot gun
in the front cab
with creepy tow truck guy
in bikinis and short shorts
ohhh Beaver Island

 

all this and more
came back to me
with this first visit
with them
now I will remember
the packing
the schlepping
the cooler
the beach towels
the beach umbrella
the beach chairs
the beach toys
the bathing suits
the sun screen
the bathrooms
and
the Joy
 

now I am not
along for the ride
I am creating 
the ride
the memory
for them
and all the work
that was done 
for me
is now being done
for them
 

and as gritty
as wet bathing suits
and sand can be
as gritty as 
parenthood can be
it is all worth it
for the Joy


we have spent
much of this week
much of this Summer
in bathing suits
it has been HOT
like heat wave hot
and now I remember
why we need
more than one
or even more than two
bathing suits






hot Summer
means wet water
everyday all day
wet suits
wet towels
wet clothes
are drying and littered
around our home
and I love it





we went to
water the flowers
the other night
and we ended up
watering everything
but the flowers
he sprayed the hose
she sprayed the hose
I sprayed the hose
and we were all
soaked head to toe
in our clothes
the Joy





this year
they really love
the water
for me, as a kid
a splash pad
was a cement pad that
caved toward the center
and in the middle
was a large cement cylindar
that sprayed water
in one circular
and constant pattern
only during a certain time
on only the hottest of days






nowadays
and I do feel old
very old using that word
nowadays
a splash pad is practically
a mini water theme park
but oh just look


look at this
JOY




too much fun
and very different
from last year's
splash pad exposure
she was hilarious
dipping various parts
a leg an arm
her hair her face
into the streams
of spraying water
when it would
get to be too much
she would run
to the towel for
a quick swipe
and then back at it
again...
the Joy

 





he had just as much
fun, but he also likes
his down time
aka. momma's lap
and so do I
rare is the moment
when this bare
beautiful face
is looking up at me
I had to capture
this Joy





enJOY the Joy

2 comments:

  1. There are so many comments I want to make; I was thinking of something on every pic! Your kids have the greatest expressions and you can just see their personalities in their faces.

    My favorite is, of course, Easton's face without any accessories just looking up at you! I also love how he is in the water with his glasses and patch...only an ikid!

    That beach looks awesome and you are so right about how the splash pad is like a mini water park! Ha ha!

    Azalea is beautiful, as always and I love how much she has changed from last year (I, of course, had to check out last year's post, too...)

    Love the fun!!

    So sad we didn't meet this year. We HAVE to start planning for next summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. Your kids have the most expressive faces. It is like I can see all their emotions in one single shot of the camera. Priceless. You are making awesome memories with them this summer. And I agree with Melissa, we need to plan for next summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...