Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Art is Love

So my Mom
keeps everything
it's funny cuz
if I ask 
if she
remembers
a moment
it's usually not
but if I ask
if she 
has a tangible 
piece of 
a moment
it's likely so.

Soooo
when I asked
if she 
had any
used crayons
of course
she did
she had mine
my childhood
crayons.

A fairly large
plastic bag 
of really old
used up crayons
she peeled 
the wrappers off
for me 
knowing
I was going to 
melt them into
new ones
for the kids.

As I sat there
sorting colors
touching moments
trying to 
remember
I did
of all the times
moments
many crayons
in my lifetime
I remembered
these


the short
the fat
the thick
the oily ones
the ones that were
wrapped in
a black wrapper
labeled simply
crayon
they fit snugly
into a black
art case 
I used to carry 
everywhere
and draw.

I was maybe 8
I would lay out
this portable studio
many times
next to a blank
bright white
fresh sheet of paper
pop out one
of the cool
"crayons"
from the case
and make 
the darkest
the smoothest
the richest
colored 
works of art
I remember.

And now 
here I am
here they are
my crayons
laying on
a white sheet
of paper
that my girl
 

just the other day
had drawn on


my crayons
and 
her signature
scribble with circle
that in this moment
looks like
pure love
how fitting
that the fate
of these crayons
my crayons
is to be 
melted into 
love
 

and used 
to create
even more
love.


And that is
exactly
what it is
about
love
creating moments
keeping memories
doing things
that we
love
with the people
for the people
that we
love.

Even if
when
not everyone
wants to do
all that you
love

I told you the girl could hold the crayon for real!
you find
other things


memories


moments
in life
that you
love.

Look who can do somersaults, my boy!
And you 
embrace
all that
you are 
given
with love.

I love Art.
I love the materials.




I love the creativity.
I love the possibility.

The purple blur near his shoulder is her flinging the play-doh!
I love the process.
I love the product.




I love the potential.


I love the mess.
I love the clean up.

 


I love the mistakes.
I love the moments.


For me
Art has 
always been
life
my life
and once my life
changed
I had to find
a new way
to let the Art
back in
but really 
it's always been there
because now
I see
for me
Art is Love.

4 comments:

  1. Love the artwork! Love this post! Love that your mom held on to your crayons!

    Austin would be very jealous of Easton. :) He keeps trying and trying to somersault. Can't quite get it. That has never stopped him before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. It's like watching my kids play with my old Muppet Baby Happy Meal toys. Melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. And I love the orange socks that match the shirt and match the patch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! (you actually love the clean-up? You are THE best mom in the world!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...