Friday, April 13, 2012

his glasses

This kid 
only knows
this life
his life
life with 
his Eye.


What is a pair
of glasses
his glasses
when from
day one
he's had
a contact
and
a patch.

So far
patching
hasn't been
the problem
I don't think
he minds
seeing out of
his Eye.

After the trauma
I mean drama
of putting on
the contact
in the morning
it's then wearing
the sticky
the itchy
patch on his face
that he hates
putting it on
feeling it on.

For the most part
he will leave it
alone
from 8 am
till 4:30 pm
all day long
he rocks
the patch
sometimes
after his nap
he will need
a new patch
because when
he's tired
he rubs his eyes
and rubs the corner
of the patch off
or even the contact out
but he does not
continue to
remove the patch
even if it's half
stuck to his face...
yet.

However
you better believe
when I say

"Easton, you want
your patch off?"

no matter what
he will drop
everything
to come sit
on my lap
while I slowly
gently peal
a large oval sticker
off my son's eye
no whining
no wincing
rock solid.

Of course
Sister is right there

  

watching
waiting
she wants it
the patch
she will either
put it on
play with it
or
try to stick it
on our
Patch Place
just a fun little
work of art
we make
together
each month
and then stick
used patches
all over it
when we remember

other wise
the patches are
in the garbage
on my jeans
in my jean pocket
in my coat pocket
stuck to the counter
stuck to the frig
stuck to inside the dryer
you name it
a used patch
is there.
 
Ok back to Easton
patch freshly off
he will sit
for just a moment
let his eyes
readjust
allow his brain
to use
the other eye
and then
off he goes
but only for
a moment
because next
come
his glasses. 


So yeah
his glasses
I've been meaning
to reflect on
his glasses
the kid can rock
a pair of glasses
with the best of em
when he wants to
when he's busy.



But you know what
his glasses
are on
his face too
just like
the patch
they might not be
sticky
but I do think
sometimes
they are
itchy
especially
behind his ears


sometimes they
smush down
into his nose
sometimes they
bump over
to one side
of his nose
sometimes they
get stuck on
his shirt
getting dressed
my shirt
giving a hug
a blanket
when playing monster
sometimes they
smash into
his face
when he falls
or presses against
a window
a wall.

Let's face it
he's a kid
he's a boy
he is not
mindful of
his glasses
or sometimes
actually he is
and he just flat out
wants to look
wants to examine
wants to play
with
his glasses.


I don't usually
leave em on
in the car
you can imagine
pretzel doesn't quite
describe the shape.
I'd prefer not to
leave em on
when he's eating
but I do
you can imagine
yogurt on glass
now that you
most definitely can
see through!

This cloth


any cloth
I've relaxed
in my days
whatever works
in the moment.

And then
there are days
when he just
doesn't wanna



he will look down
he will run away
he will push his face
into anything
but the frames
I will get them on
he will take them off
and this
this war
with
his glasses
I will not fight.

I pick and choose
my battles
I will fight
and usually win
with the contact
I will fight
and always win
with the patch
I will fight
and I will win
with his Eye
I will see the distance
to restore
his vision.

But the glasses
his glasses
for the good eye
to have better vision
I confess
I choose
to encourage
not fight
that battle
although
most of the time
he chooses
and wins


yes, by that
I mean
he will wear them.

The following pics
are just cute
cuz she's cute



I mean... really
cute


and smart



and look who's
watching now.




I really LOVE
the brown frames
I wanted them
all along
they were on
back order
but the blue

they were 
his first pair
his glasses.

6 comments:

  1. Love them! He's so precious. Grant has those exact same pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brown glasses look great on him. So did the blue, but the brown is gold. :) Mommy knows best.

    Azalea is very resourceful. I love that initiative in kids. She is beautiful!

    Battles have to be chosen, or else we would lose so many that we would get discouraged. Just so you know, that is one I wouldn't fight. He can obviously see out of his good eye. If you don't correct vision every minute of un-patched (I just made that word up) time every day, he is not going to lose it. When he realizes he is seeing better, you will not have an issue. I wouldn't think anyway.

    Keep up the great/awesome/amazing work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the glasses and the color is perfect for him! I cannot believe he keeps his patch on that well! In that time, we go through at least 50. But, Anderson does keep his glasses on and doesn't have a contact so I think it all balances out for us, right? All in the Eye world anyway. I agree with Missy that he is not going to lose the vision because of not wearing glasses every second. He is doing awesome!

    I love her standing on her toy!! Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. He looks so wise in his glasses - especially the expressions he makes. It is like he is saying "I get it mom" with his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isaiah will not wear his practice glasses or "goo goo goggles" as we call them, gotta love Dr Seuss's ABC it's an awesome Easter gift. I am planning to get my lil man a real pair to protect his eye's but he hates them something fierce. I don't know what to do??? I must say patch off time is my favorite time of the day..but then before I know it, it's bed time already and then I know morning brings that darn patch again.. sigh!. As always Amanda love the words and photo's that you share!! Loving Azalea's pink and purple wheels...Loving Easton's new brown frames.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! SO glad you don't have to fight the patch war... and I am oh so jealous! Easton rocks both colors of frames! (and love the extra pictures- because she IS cute!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...