Friday, February 24, 2012

Easton's Eye - Part 2

Before I go
on
I feel
I need
to say...

I understand
bad things happen
to good people
everyday
and
I am very aware
I have two
beautiful
healthy
children
I have so much
to be grateful for
and
yes, it could be
there is
worse.

This timeline
is simply
my experience
with
Easton's Eye.

October 2010
my newborn twins
are barely
2 weeks old
they are in the NICU
I am home
pumping
waking every 4 hours
pumping
why
because
it is the only thing
that makes me feel
like their mother.

Everyday
I traveled
30 minuets
to go see them
sometimes
even twice
in one day.

What does this
have to do with
Easton's Eye
I was in
zombie mom mode
and they weren't
even home yet.
I still had yet
to fully allow
myself
to feel
the reality of
his Eye.

Oct. 20
Easton was transferred
to a different NICU
in a different hospital
for his eye surgery.



For the next week
I would travel
to two different hospitals
to visit both
of my newborn babies
in the same day
pumping
anywhere
and everywhere.

Oct. 21
Easton is 3 weeks old
had the cataract
in his left eye
surgically removed.


This to me
was the real
beginning
because
everyday
thereafter
starts and ends
with
the Eye.

I do remember
after the surgery
our PO came to us
asked us to follow her
into the little room.

Looking back
I now know
this is not normal
normal is a nurse
telling you
you can go see
your baby
in recovery
now.

The little room
was tiny
table and four chairs
four walls
and a door
maybe a box of tissue
it didn't matter
I was numb
zombie mom mode.

I remember thinking
wow how nice
she is going to give us
a report on the surgery.

Prior to the surgery
the cataract was so
big
cloudy
severe
she could not
get a good look
at the rest of
his eye.

Now she's had
a look
she tells us
how well things went
removal
recovery 
but then
she tells us
more
his lens was attached
to his iris
she had to remove
parts of his iris

and she could see
other structures
including the eye itself
were abnormal
and smaller
than normal

she tells us
he still has a lot
of blood
covering
the back of his eye
once he heals more
she will get
a better look at
his optic nerve
she will know
more
then.

Oh boy
my baby boy
what does this mean
again
I have no idea
but I know
its not good
I can tell
her voice
that voice
is back
again
this is very
very
serious.

Oct. 25
PO exam of
Easton's Eye
crib side in the NICU
a couple of questions
were answered
but still a couple of
concerns
were lingering
continue with the
round the clock
regimen of
three separate eye drops
multiple times
per day.

Also on this day
Azalea
spent her first day
in an open air crib
she could now
officially
regulate her own
body temperture
at almost
a month old
progress!
girlfriend just needs
time.  ;)



Oct. 27
Easton is 1 month old
he comes home!
His eye is healing
the big heavy white
bandage is gone
we leave with
a clear shield
taped to his face
to protect his eye


and an eye drop
schedule
so crazy
we would log it
in our baby notebook
daily
to keep track of
drops and times
they were noted
as either
pink
red
or brown
for the color cap
of each different
medicine.

the first
the easiest
example of how
from then on
each day
starts and ends
with
Easton's Eye.

3 comments:

  1. The EYE. Is there anything else?? Well, there is that precious little baby grinning in his sleep. So, I guess there is a more....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could his smile be any cuter? Thank you for sharing this painful part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great read. You have such an amazing way with words. It is hard enough to re-live my journey with "just a cataract"... and you went through so much more (times two!). You are a continued source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...