Thursday, October 20, 2011

On Her Birthday

When raising twins
rare are the moments
when you can enjoy
holding one child
without worrying 
about the other.
Even rarer is the moment
when you can enjoy
holding both children
at the same time.
Add to that
twin toddlers
and the moment
doesn't exist...
until today,
On Her Birthday.


This morning
we played.
So by mid-morning 
we were getting tired.
I scooped em up
and decided to rock
in Her chair
maybe read a book
maybe sing a few songs
hoping to pass some time
till they were rested
and ready for more.
Usually this might last
for 10 min?!
until today,
On Her Birthday.


They were happy 
just rocking
and singing.
We were all humming along
until I was suddenly 
the only one humming.
What is this?!
twin toddlers
sleeping on the same lap
in Her chair.

I drank in the moment
I closed my eyes
I felt their bodies
I listened to the rocking chair
I listened to their breathing
I smelled their hair
I looked around
I looked outside
I noticed the wind
I noticed the fall leaves
and then I remembered,
Her Birthday.


She waited for the news.
It took 3 years to deliver it.
On Easter Sunday,
she opened an egg.
It said, "Guess who's coming to 
Thanksgiving dinner?!"
Then she learned it was TWINS!
She was so happy.
But I'm sure she knew
and in the end I know
she knew.
She would meet them 
from a far.
Last year, today
she had been gone
3 months to the day.
But in their Baby Book
I still wrote 
Happy Birthday,
Grandma.


She held them
today.
I know it.
I felt it.
She was in Her chair
with us
rocking 
just like she used to do.
Holding those 
sweet little ones
looking out the window
enjoying the day,
On Her Birthday.

She may not have made it
to become a 
Great-Grandmother,
but to me 
she will always be a 
Great Grandma.

Happy Birthday Grandma!
Thank you for the gift today.
Thank you for helping me 
hold my sweet little ones
one more time
while they are still little.
I love you,
always.

5 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. I know she was there with you too and always will be. She would be so proud of you and all you do, as I am. You are the best mommy for these precious two. I love you so - thank you for this great post for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it worked - I finally got to comment...look at that. I have tried to comment so many times and today it worked...your silly mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Great-Grandma! She was stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful! Happy Birthday to a Great-Grandma that is smiling down, I am sure, on your sweet little family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...