Monday, July 23, 2012

Oil City

What started
as a tradition
has now become
more of a place
of transformation

Oil City
Softball Tournament
weekend

Even before
I met my husband
way back in 2001
before digital cameras
were common
before my obsession
passion for photography
there was
softball
there was
Oil City

The photographic proof
is scarce, but way
back in the day
when we first
started dating
I remember Oil City
being initially
invited along
was exciting
knowing I was
included
a part of the tradition
a part of his passion

Oil City 2007

Every year
the three hour drive
straight South
out of the flat
New York State
farmland
and into the
rolling hills of
Pennslyvania
proves to be
far enough destination
to feel
like a vacation
to feel
transforming

And as we cross
the Oil City bridge
on our way to
the softball fields
we know we are
being transformed
into another place
into another time
of our lives

Oil City 2008

The boys from Buffalo
as the Pennsylvanians
would say
have worked hard
have worked long
to establish
a reputation in
the softball world
so back in July 2006
when this new teacher
was planning a wedding
and meticulously picked
a hot weekend
in the middle of July
Summer
I had no idea
that year the local
Oil City Newspaper
would read
due to a team member's
wedding
the boys from Buffalo
will NOT be playing
oops, did I do that?!

You read that right
6 years ago
the team
missed out on
Oil City
because on
July 15, 2006
we got married!


And not only
would their
3rd baseman
the groom
be missing
the tournament
but their shortstop
would be honored
to be part of
the wedding party
and practically
the rest of the team
would be there
to lovingly support
to celebrate
to cheer us on
because that's what
they are
a team
a family


Of course
like every year before
and every year since
the tradition
has carried on
last year I remember
we celebrated
our anniversary
in Oil City
new babies at home
time for the new
parents
to transform
to reconnect
and in the days
after coming home
I started
my blog.

This year
our anniversary
was the weekend
we met
a fellow ifamily
and I knew
the following
weekend
we would celebrate
Us
in Oil City
because that's the way
that's how it's always been
that's how it will always be
Us
and Oil City

Oil City 2012

My husband
lives life
a lot like
he plays ball
as part of a team
as part of a family


I knew
from the moment
I met him
he was an individual
who wanted
who worked
wholeheartly
for others
for friends
for family



I admired
his focus
his strength
his determination
to go after
what he believed
he could do


He is active
He is ahead
He is always
in the game


I remember
when I was pregnant
we could not agree
on a name
for our son
about a week before
the twins were born
we were tossing around
names
he looked down at
his softball bat
he asked
he knew
Easton
at that moment
I couldn't think
of any other name
that fit more perfectly
for the son
of my husband


Leaving for
Oil City
felt different
this year
knowing
that morning
we would be
leaving
this
them


But going there
and coming home
couldn't have been
anymore
transformative
more than ever before
we left for
Oil City
trying to find
a way back
to Us
to celebrate
Us


just like that feeling
we felt
on our wedding day
never more happy
to love each other
looking forward
to our life
together
as part of a team
as part of a family.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! You rocked your wedding dress girl! And couples need time to reconnect. You have to take care of your relationship before you can be a good parent (at least that is my philosophy). I am sure the kids missed you, but had a great time. Your hubby seems like a wonderful husband, father, and person.

    Too bad Easton and Azalea can't write a blog post on what they did while they were gone. It would read something like..."Guess what! two days of no patch! Ha ha!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.MY.GOD. You guys looked gorgeous on your wedding day!! Congratulations on your 6 years (and on spending some of it with us. hahhaha)
    You guys are a beautiful couple inside and out. We wish you many many many more years filled with love, health and happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!! This is such a fun way to remember your relationship. My favorite part is that your wedding was during the tournament! That is hilarious and definitely a sign of true love that he didn't care:)

    You look BEAUTIFUL in those pics! Well, all of the time, but you know what I mean.

    Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! Your wedding pictures are fabulous. You are radiant. You looks so happy. Congrats on 6 years.

    I love the photo of their bottoms on the chair. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...