Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easton's Eye - Part 6

March 2011
A year ago... wow!


In so many ways
we have grown
with the Eye


but
in so many ways
it is still
so very hard.


By this time
all drops
to heal Easton's Eye
were done.
the weekly eye exams
were done.
I think we were
still doing the blue
drop for glaucoma
but our PO
let us go
for a good 6 weeks
before our next visit.

So I was left
with time
and it was time
time for me
to really learn
how to put a contact
in an infant's eye.


I watched
I asked
I researched
I practiced
I improved
but
I wanted
an easy way
and I found
there was
no easy way.

The biggest hurdle
was getting over
the fear.
I literally had to
desensitize myself
from opening
his Eye.
Once I got past
the fear
the shaking
the holding my breath
the task
started to feel
normal?


Then it was about
creating a routine
and staying
consistent
even though
Easton was still
asleep
while doing all this
I knew
he knew
and having the routine
helped.


April 11, 2011
Ahhh Spring


finally some fresh air
that I could
breathe
it had been
a long
cold
winter
that's for sure.

So yes, another eye exam
nothing major
I think this was
around when
the drops
finally stopped.

Of course
I was happy
but still
I was nervous
the glaucoma was gone
but was it gonna
stay gone?
so she rescheduled
us to come back
in another 6 weeks.


I do remember though
it was at this visit
that I finally felt
strong enough
willingly not desperately
I asked
do you have any
suggestions
resources
support groups
anything?!
considering the rarity
of Easton's Eye
she didn't have
many local contacts
but she did
direct me to
some online resources.

And so it began...

April 13
I left my first
online comment
on the blog
Jack's Journey.
I found it
from the website
Children's Eye Foundation
he was the cutest
Little Ambassador.

I can not
even begin to
describe the feeling
of having found
this blog
someone had a story
that was like
mine.

All this time
time spent feeling
alone
when there were
others
others with stories
like ours.

I just couldn't
believe it
of all things
a computer screen
and a keyboard
linked me into
a world
a world I knew
a world I didn't
want to know
but did
and it felt
so incredibly
comforting
validating
to know that
the journey
my family
was on
was not one
we had to take
alone.

The first thing
that came to mind
was my husband
I had to share
this blog
with him.
No one
but him
us, we
truly knew
what it was like
to live like
this
and I wanted
to share
my discovery
with him.

The second thing
that came to mind
was gratitude.
I was so grateful
that this family
this fellow Eye Mom
took the time
to tell
to share
her story
Jack's Journey.

And from there
my world
expanded
her followers
her commenters
they too
were all in this
together.
It was like
being reunited
with long lost
friends
friends who
no matter the time
no matter the distance
were there
and they just
understood.


To this day
I still tear up
from the overwhelming
sense of gratitude
I have in finding
my online
Eye Moms
families
who I will
most likely
never meet
but have such
an incredible
LOVE
for.

Thank you
to everyone
who shares
their stories
their strength
their courage
to walk this
journey
publicly
openly
online.

Thank You.
Thank God!

10 comments:

  1. Eye Moms are the best. The absolute best!!
    I love the pics of them from a year ago-so, so cute. I love his big grins,even with a patch/contact drama. It shows what a trooper he is and, mostly, YOU are!! yay:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye Moms are awesome! Can we start a club called Eye Moms? Although no one wants to really join - it is sort of a "forced" membership. But I agree, the support from blogs and others online has been invaluable - helped me through the darkest of days. When I sobbed and sobbed because the contact wouldn't stay in - I knew that out there, somewhere, another mom was going through the same thing. And I had read stories and knew that someday this would become our "normal." And we would press on and survive - because others (like you!) had already shown me it could be done!

    I think our Eye Mom's club needs a patch (pun intended) or something as a badge of honor. A symbol that we are warriors in this battle. We may lose some battles but we will win the war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eye Mom's club... love it! When we first realized that Easton would most likely be wearing a patch everywhere all the time, my husband was like "Easton is going to rock a patch so well that he will have all his friends wanting to wear one!" Ha, if only right?! Your club idea cracks me up. Even though we are forced into it, I so enjoy being a part of this group! I'll rock a patch or badge of honor, count me in! ;)

      Delete
  3. You had me in tears again Amanda. Especially after reading the last few paragraphs. I value your blog a great deal...you and Nicole's blogs came along at a time when I really needed to know what I was feeling was normal and that i was not alone. Awesome to see new eye mum blogs popping up and finding ones I never knew existed. Thankyou ladies for finding the time to share your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha... hearing that means so much to me. I knew how much reading someone's story helped me and I truly wanted to do the same for someone else. I'm so glad that our story was here for you! ;)

      Delete
  4. I posted a comment earlier and asked a question... I came back to see the answer. It must not have posted. :/ It was a good one too. hahaha jk

    Thank you for sharing Easton's story. It makes me cry and laugh and feel not so alone.

    What size patch does Easton wear? I found some patches in the bottom of a suitcase. I have 5 or 6 ortopad patches, and about 20 coverlet patches. They are junior size. Austin has moved up to the medium, for his eyebrows sake. :) I would imagine Easton has too, but if any one else is interested just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy... I actually just ordered a bunch of patches in junior and now I'm thinking by the time we use em all up Easton will probably be in the next size?! I forgot to factor that in... oops. Oh well. :)

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny that just as you find yourself feeling low again you can reach out to others who don't even know you and get so much love!!! Thank Heavens for the internet!!
    Love love love the pics...your kids are so cute....and my girls totally wore that pink honeybunny shirt Azalea had on!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Eye Mom's Club!!! Count me in! I just found your blog today and adore the way you talk about the "Eye." Isn't that just the way it is. My Elsa is just Elsa. Wild and strong, Funny and Determined and I forget about the Eyes sometimes. But then really they are always there. The worry. The victory. The guilt. And the upkeep. And when the world around us defines her by her vision it feels a real punch in the gut. Wow. Didn't mean to be a downer but it is nice to be in company that knows what I am talking about. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love new Eye Moms... welcome! Feel free to vent and/or comment when compelled to do so. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...