Thursday, August 23, 2012

the key

Hard to believe
this was them
last year

August 2011
So many things
have changed
yet so many things
still remain
the same

August 2012
2011 - no shoes
couldn't walk yet
2012 - wearing shoes!
and very worn in

2011 - hats
would keep them on!
2012 - no hats
but now I do their hair
well brush his, do hers

2011 - sunscreen
contact, patch
2012 - sunscreen
contact, patch

2011 - diaper bag
blanket, toys
2012 - diaper bag
blanket, toys

I could sit and list
forever
but mostly
what is different
is the feeling

2011 - I was pushing them
for the first time
into a year of just us
2012 - I am pushing them
for the last time
out of our time as
just us

2011 - Pride
excitement, adventure
2012 - Pride
excitement, adventure
and a wee bit of
sadness


So we took
the long way
savoring
every step
every sight
every sound
and found a new
entrance



I wanted to make
it special
discover
something new
create
a memory


little do I know
if I just let go
they will do that
all on their
own


duh mom
when you find
a door
you open it
and when you can't
you find
the key




opportunity
creativity
adventure
courage

when one door closes
you open the next

did I teach them that
or did they teach me





Oh this is so hard
so very bittersweet







they are so very
grown up
they are so very
little



I know I know
I'm in limbo
how many times
how many ways
can you say
the same thing
with the same
feelings


but this is
where we are


this is where
I am


running and running


in circles
waiting
wanting
time
to stand
still


but it won't
and they
won't


they will go
they will grow
their separate
ways



they will meet
somewhere in
"thyme"


and move again


and dance
some more


and I will
stand back
and watch
them
soar


that is the key
the key
to the door
the key
to my heart
is them
they push me
they keep me
strong
they will show me
the way

I just have to
step back
and wait
and see






they are me


they are the key


one last
fun story
as we pulled in
our driveway
and began to unpack
the stroller
from our adventure
someone left me
the key
literally
the long stone
put it in with
all our stuff
surprise
here you go
Momma
you bet I still
have it
and will
forever...

4 comments:

  1. Love love love the two comparison photos. Crazy how big these kids get so quickly!! But every new stage is just so wonderful too. Love all the photos...and the herb garden...probably cause I've actually been there!! ;)
    I am sorry you have to leave them soon. But you know everyone will do great and adjust.
    Good luck with it all! I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number one... I love that in the comparison picture Easton is reaching in both pictures. Azalea is contently sitting in both.

    Number two... I can't imagine what it would be like to leave my kiddos. I do imagine drinking coffee while it is hot like Karla. :) Anyway, will be thinking about you and your little people. I hope it goes as smoothly as it possible can.

    Number three... Love the key. How cute! They will invent something great together someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain in every sentence. I understand. It is the hardest thing to leave the little ones. Some days it is easier than others. Today was rough for me - and I thought of you and how you will be doing the work thing next week. I'll be sending you positive energy the whole time. You can do it - it feels like your heart will break, but it isn't. It is stretching and growing, just like them. And we have the best jobs with the best vacations! Believe me - I'm already counting down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great pics. love them running. Bittersweet is really the only way to describe the work situation, isn't it? They will be awesome and so will you, but it will take awhile for the new routines/schedules and life to sink in for everyone. Lots of positive thoughts for you all. They just could not be cuter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...