Saturday, April 13, 2013

follow up

And so I return
I've attempted to
write this post
several times
with multiple themes
but nothing really
compelled me
and now here I sit
sick and stuffed up
on the couch
kids just in bed
hubby out the door
to play poker
the dog at my feet
and I'm left with
time
time to think
time to reflect
time to follow up

 

where to begin
hummm
how about with
confesssions
I confess
these pics are over
a week old
I confess
I haven't picked up
my camera since
I confess
I have been busy
I have been sick
I have been lazy
I have been uninspired
I confess
sometimes I need
a break
over Spring break
I did nothing
I confess
I had time to do
something
and I chose to do
nothing
and in doing so
I feel I did do
something
I gave myself
a break
and I confess
it felt good



and honestly
going back to work
was a little rough
on all of us
we adjusted to
doing nothing
quite well
and in the beginning
of this past week
much of our routine
felt... forced
for example
I finally made an
Eye apt. for
of all people, myself
for a while now
I have noticed
a discolored spot
on my eye
and since it
didn't hurt
didn't change
didn't effect my vision
I've ignored it
 

this seems so strange
to say, as an imom
I have never had
a formal eye exam
of course my general Dr.
has performed the basics
to determine overall
eye health and vision
but I actually now have
my own Opthamologist
and pun intended
it was an Eye opening
experience, ha



first of all, I know
way too much about
eyes and exams
secondly, it still stings
to share Easton's story
especially to people
who truly get it
thirdly, I was brave
only because
Easton has showed me
how to be

 

a real eye exam
is intense
and I already knew that
but now I really know it
of all body parts, Eyes
Eyes are sensitive
Eyes are awkward
Eyes are everything
and now Eye
have that much more
understanding
compassion
empathy
for Easton
and each and every single
ikid
who are warriors
battling every day
for a chance
at better vision

 

I will never again take
one single glance or
one stunning scene
for granted
as a fellow imom
titled her blog
Vision is a Gift
and Amen to that

 

yes, my eyes are healthy
it was determined
I have an age spot
of all places, on my eye
most likely brought on
by the hormonal changes
from my pregnancy
sounds like good news to me
I'll wear it proudly  ;)
follow up in a year

 

and speaking of
follow up
let's follow up
with Easton
his 6 weeks post EUA
follow up was also
this past week
are you noticing a
theme here...
 

the Eye apt. itself
was actually pretty
dare I say, easy
Easton's vision
tested well
he was fairly cooperative
we were satisfied
we just got all new
scripts 6 weeks ago
so continue patching
8 hours a day
based on the EUA
new PO agrees
glaucoma is present
continue to manage it
with current drop
in the AM and PM
 

here's where the theme
hits home, the follow up
follow up in... wait for it
6 MONTHS
what, seriously?!
the longest we have
ever ever gone
between Eye apts. 
was 3 months
like way back in the day
before glaucoma
really came and camped out
so of course
I asked a few questions
and he gave me
fair answers
with confidence
so slowly
very slowly
I let myself
believe him
trust him

his perspective
his practice
is different
than what I know
than what I am used to
but that doesn't mean
its wrong
so 6 months
will come
and 6 months
will go
and then we will
follow up
 

in the meantime
we will continue
we will carry on
my lil warrior and I
my family of giraffes
busy seeing the distance
we have finally
caught a break
found a plateau
a chance to grow
 

how's that
for a post about
following up 

5 comments:

  1. 6 months is SO exciting!! It is exciting because it means that it is working! "It" being the constant dedication, drops, contacts, patching, research, follow up, love, care, resilience, etc., of course!

    I will say the only sort of teeny, tiny hard part about 6 months is waiting so long for feedback! We are at such a good place with the 6 month visits (especially since our PO is 4 hours away), bit I get to a bit anxious to hear some news! Because that is what imoms are, right? So dedicated that we want to know for sure!

    I am SO excited that you are trusting the doc and it is working for you all.

    Yay for doing nothing. Especially if you were sick-I'm sorry to hear that!

    And, Missy is right that Vision truly is a gift! One that we get to actually give to our kids, which is pretty cool.

    Love that you have a PO now. You're right, I have never really had a formal exam, just a quick reading of the chart to get my contact prescription. Sort of ironic...

    Ok, too long of a comment!I will stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you and Easton that you don't have to follow up for another 6 months. I'm a little disappointed for me though because we won't be hanging in the waiting room together. Maybe you could just come and sit with me in May for some moral support as we begin this journey with the new PO :)
    I think you making the choice to do nothing is awesome and much deserved! Managing life with a husband, twins, a full-time job and the EYE can be exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for 6 months! What a gift. And glad you are relaxing into a relationship with this new PO. Vision is a gift and you are wroking hard and tirelessly to give that gift to Easton.

    How ironic that I had an eye exam last week too. I noticed things were blurry and weird. After dilation, shiny lights and pressure checks - just dry eyes.

    Keep on trucking imom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for 6 month visits! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting to sim months between eye doc visits! That's great! You both are such troopers! Sorry to hear you're sick...so am I. Must be something going around giving us all the blahs and sniffles....no good. I guess we're all ready for some warmer weather! That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...