Sunday, February 17, 2013

Strong

It's Sunday afternoon
the kids have been down
for a half hour
asleep for 15 min.
I'm on the couch
under a blanket
surrounded by pillows
and a sleeping dog
who got a bath last night
so she actually
smells good
toys are scattered
accross every inch
of the floor
the kitchen is dirty
there is plenty of
laundry waiting in piles
and here I sit
writing about stuff
rather than actually
doing stuff...
I'm on vacation!


Yup, that's right
a week off
winter break
and I couldn't have
kicked it off
any better than
taking the kids
to the Strong Museum
of Play, yesterday


oh yeah
and the whole
sittng on the couch
writing thing
would imply
that I have a laptop
a new laptop
technically it's used
but NEW to me
gotta love it
I realize now
what I have been
missing
so that is kinda
encouraging
exciting at least
to me


but yeah, anyway
Daddy's been working
crazy overtime hours
and Mommy was looking
for something to do
so Grandma suggested
packing the kids up
and hitting the road
for an hour long
road trip to
destination FUN

I have to admit
the drive was pretty
reminisant
good ol Route 31
all the way to
Rha Cha Cha
that's WNY talk
for Rochester
everytime we drive it
my Mom always asks
do you remember
when we used to
live out this way
look see there's
our exit
and I always respond
yes, Mom I do


I was literally
probably my kids age
we only stayed
maybe a year
before moving back
to the very home
we left
our little stay though
left a big impact
on both of us

I don't remember much
but I do remember
our small apartment
it felt small
compared to our
big blue house
and I remember
a family gathering
climbing on top
of my now
dining room table
grasping the spout
putting my mouth on
a fresh pot of hot tea
and well...
you can only imagine
why I remember that


but truly I do
remember the drive
the long and whinding
counrty road
farms and picket fences
around every curve
the waiting
the wondering
if we were home... yet

and then I fast forward
in my mind
memories of me
not just watching
her
but becoming her
the independent woman
who traveled
Route 31
in my 20's
as a Graduate student
seeking the answers
to the troubles
of life


my Master's Degree
Art Therapy
such a blessing
for me
the travel
the people
the confidence
found strength

is it Strong Museum
Rha Cha Cha
or Route 31
all of them
balled in to one
full circle
of fun



we can do this
look and see
just come along
and play
even if just
for the day



yesterday
or rather every day
is certainly
not just about
reliving memories
but making new ones
along the way


oh their sweet
little faces
their spirits
my heart races


I love the discovery
of something new


the mastery
the confidence
of something
familiar


play is
the best way


to say
this is our day


find ways
to enjoy

look! a pirate ship
ahoy


jump in
don't hesitate
if you do
it might be
too late


learn from others
learn with others
always learning
from play
their way


the sights
the sounds
the interaction


the tried


and true


mixed with technology
and it's new


will they
remember this
not so sure
if they do

but I know
experience
effects you


the feeling
that starts
sparks within
discovery
play
every way
each day


Strong Museum
has me feeling
my own strength
of how I came to be
with my family
looking forward
to this time
to play
with them
and me.

3 comments:

  1. First...who the heck keeps all the food so neat in the grocery store? We have one at the Science Centre and it's insane!
    Second...super cool place!!
    Third....Mike would love the photo of E driving the ambulance =)
    Glad things are going so well for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Looks tiring, but the good kind. The kind where you made a memory from all that work.

    I didn't stalk you at all when you posted that photo on instagram. :) ok so I totally did.

    Glad you got some freedom with the new laptop. Very cool.

    P.s. Naptime is the best time ever. I will be sad when it leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place is awesome!! What a fun time! I love watching their expressions as they focus on things because I feel like I know them from all of the pics and posts and instragrams:)

    Such built in buddies.

    The pic of you in the train is great-beautiful family:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...