Saturday, December 29, 2012

Priorities

The end
of the year
always has me
asking myself
what was I able
to cross off
the list

and more importantly
what do I need
to add to
the list


you know
that never ending
list
the list of life
whether it is
the literal to-do's
or more of a
motivational mind game


sadly somethings
just simply
stay on
the list
leaving them there
year after year
knowing one day
they will have
their day



so what does
get in the way


Priorities

yes, the bill box
hasn't been filed
in over two months

yes, the kitchen floor
needs a good wash
and the sink is full of
daily dirty dishes

yes, I still haven't
put the photos
from last Christmas
in the photo album

and yes, dare I
even think about
trying to organize
the basement

BUT it snowed
the first real good
snow of the season
and I caught
Nelly licking snowflakes
that one I can
cross off
the list


sometimes
you have time


sometimes
you have to make time


and sometimes
you have to just
stop worrying
about time


and live... Priorities


I have always
set goals in life
I have always
used my planner
literally
ever since I was
handed a new one
on the first day of
6th grade

I remember it
clearly
the adult feeling
a new feeling of
seeing an entire
academic year
blank, just waiting
to be filled
with real to-do's
and the end
oh the end
of a year filled in
looking back at
all the pages
all the days
all the accomplishments
crossed off

let's just say
I've been hooked
ever since
I'm a plan it
kinda girl
I see it
I write it
I do it...
most of the time  ;)


But raising these two
this Mom thing...
well Azalea already
has my Spring 2013
agenda filled in
dark black
swirling twirling
scribbles
according to her
I'm all booked up

and in many ways
she's so right
life doesn't have to
be all about
the list

really and truly
it's what you choose
to do with
each moment


Priorities

they come first
in every way
they come first

the list
means nothing when
the choice
the priority
is them



this year
I've learned
to let go
of the list
the list of life
is best lived
when you simply
know your
Priorities


Cheers
to a grand 2013
a year waiting
to be filled with
Priorities

3 comments:

  1. They take over. They own our time, our energy, our hearts. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my little priorities! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I am a planner type of person as well and you have to just kind of let that go with kids. Especially with two! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, what you write is so true. For me that has been the hardest part~ convincing the planner/organizer in me to let go and focus on my priorities.
    Can't wait to see and hear more about your 'priorities' in 2013. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...